Thursday 19 December 2013

Why I no longer celebrate Christmas !!!

Why I no longer celebrate Christmas?

Answer:  Because I became a Hindu.



I've always had a love/hate relationship with Christmas for as long as I can remember.  Such expectations of grandiose family gatherings.  Never quite measuring up to my imaginated scenes. 

Growing up in Australia, in Hot Christmas land it was always busy.  My mother was 1 of 5 and my father 1 of 9 children. These gatherings were always very big.  Mostly hot weather, a lot of beer and tired kids at the end of a huge day.  As we grow old things change, we have children of our own and it takes on a whole new perspective. 

The massive commercialization of the season and the pressure of society.  It never shone that bright for me personally.  I found it all a little anti-climatic each and every year.  And knowing what I know now, what you expect you generally get. 

I went to an all girls catholic high school, and learnt about Jesus and friends late.  The more I went into ceremony the less Christmas became about religion.  It all seemed a little odd to me.  I always had a beautiful tree for the kids and presents for them but I just stayed open and respectful of others enjoyment and participated in eating a lot of food and drinking a lot of various drinks.  It was realistically a time that was a little challenging, sharing my children with my ex-husband, the family dynamics of the day.   The strange energy around buying presents and the obligation with that.  Often getting unnecessary things because its obligatory to give gifts as well as spending money you may not quite have to spend.

So, the more I immersed myself into a spiritual life in Bali the more I felt aligned with Hindu philosophy than anything else I had studied.  It was purely a natural progression for me to have a 3 day Hindu conversion ceremony and meant a lot to me at the time.  Having just returned from India the day before my ceremony, it was what felt and still does completely right for my soul.






It's very freeing not having to be part of Christmas... my children were the first to support me.  Last Christmas they said, ok Mum, well since you are a Hindu and we don't get any Christmas presents can we do something extra special in January?  (Of course).

I'm a gift giver, I love giving meaningful gifts that are personal, or one of my favourites is experiential.  The gift of an experience and lasting memories.  I send presents randomly to family and friends.  For no reason or just because.... Online shopping is the best.  Things that that person may of spoken about.  There are so many ways to gift someone.

I love watching the joy that millions get from Christmas, as I do anyone getting joy from anything.  It hurts seeing others in pain at Christmas; or at any time of the year.  This is no distinction for me.

Life is a funny ole thing, blessings to you ALL.


Grace and Gratitude,

Nik.
  xo


Great gifts for anytime.
http://www.nikstarr.com/nikstarr-online-store.php

Great gifts for you.
http://www.nikstarr.com/buy-meditations.php


No comments:

Post a Comment